You’ve probably heard the term “Sabiki rig” while you were out fishing with your buddies.
The conversation most likely went like this:
You: “Hey, what are you using to catch live bait?”
Your pro fishing buddy: “We use a Sabiki rig”
Sabiki rigs are simply a string of pretied hooks on a single line that’s primarily used to catch bait fish like smelt, mackerel, and other small fish species.
The number of hooks will vary, but typically you’ll see anywhere between 5 – 7 hooks on these rigs. Sabiki rigs with larger hooks will typically have fewer hooks.
Each end of the rig is usually tied with a barrel swivel (the end that you would tie to your main line) and a snap swivel (where you would attach a weight).
What Are The Benefits Of Using Sabiki Rigs?
There are many reasons why these rigs have become popular and a staple in any tackle box.
- They are affordable and save a ton of time when you’re out on the water versus making them yourself
- Buying live bait is expensive and can be near impossible to get depending on where you live, catching your own would be the only option.
- They’re easy to use and highly effective to catch bait fish. You don’t even need to add bait to the hooks, simply jig your rod tip up and down near a school of bait fish in the water.
- In some states, like California, it is illegal to use a cast net to catch bait. Using a Sabiki rig is a great solution to this. Yes, it will take longer, but it’ll be worth it.
- Using live bait will likely help on those days when you’re getting skunked on artificial lures and frozen baits.
Where To Buy Sabiki Rigs
Sabiki Rigs can be purchased at nearly every local or online fishing store. Many liquor stores near fishing piers will also sell these near their frozen bait freezer.
Tip: Always have a few Sabiki rigs in the tackle box in case you get a tangle beyond repair or it gets snagged in the water.
The word Sabiki was the brand name of the lure company, founded by Hayato Tajiri, which later became Hayabusa Fishing Hooks Company. It quickly grew in popularity in Japan originally, and now it’s a brand that’s synonymous with the fishing industry today.
With thousands of variations on the market, you can find a Sabiki rig with different hook sizes and lure decoration material. They are effective for both freshwater and saltwater applications.
Although they are highly effective for catching bait fish, they are also used to catch game fish as well such as trout, bass, etc.
If you’re looking for a fast and affordable way to catch bait fish, Sabiki rigs are your best bet. You can find them at any local fishing store or order them online.
If you have time to make your own rigs, you can save a few bucks, but the convenience and effectiveness of these rigs are hard to beat.
You can use them in both freshwater and saltwater applications for a wide variety of fish species. Give them a try on your next fishing trip.